Reply To: Timeframe override: value and plot seem to disagree

Optuma Forums Optuma Scripting Timeframe override: value and plot seem to disagree Reply To: Timeframe override: value and plot seem to disagree

Mathew
Mathew
  • Topics: 16
  • Replies: 1,025

Hi Dean,

You are touching on something which has been the bane of my life for the past 24 years. The problem is that the weekly bar just has 4 data points and is dated as Friday. There is a lot of detail missing. Inside of Optuma, you can think of a weekly bar as happening on Fridays with 4 blanks in between.

Because of that, the big issue is when we are mixing Daily and Weekly time frames. In this case displaying a weekly script on a daily chart. It is something that we have to be really careful about.

When you look at Monday in your images, you see that the value of the weekly line is already set to Friday’s value. It’s not that there was a value on Monday, it is just that the algorithm for drawing is joining all the dots (the closes of the week) and that line passes through all the other 4 days.

With the cross hair, the spaces are not filled, so there is no data to return a price for on Mon-Thu. So the software goes backwards to find the last price. In this case it is last week Friday.

We wrestle with this all the time because every solution creates a new set of problems. It is particularly dangerous in testing when I have seen incredible results when mixing daily and weekly, but they were because Friday’s close was known on Monday. I wrote about it in this blog post https://www.optuma.com/the-danger-of-weekly-scripting/

Hope that helps

Mathew.

Pin It on Pinterest

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close