Reply To: Optuma to run on Arm Based Computers ie Apple M1 or Windows Arm64

Optuma Forums Optuma Feature Requests Optuma to run on Arm Based Computers ie Apple M1 or Windows Arm64 Reply To: Optuma to run on Arm Based Computers ie Apple M1 or Windows Arm64

David
  • Topics: 11
  • Replies: 17

Hi Mathew and others on this thread,

I’ve just had a MacBook Air M1 delivered, and found it was the wrong spec (it has 16GB+500Gb; I ordered 16Gb+1Tb). Before I return it, I thought “Hmm, let’s give Optuma a try…”

I’m typing this on that laptop, and have Optuma running on the laptop at the moment. It’s hardly evidence that would stand up in court, but here’s a screenshot:  Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 11.23.27 pm

Just to be completely clear, this is not a supportable config:
– the current version of Parallels 16 for ARM (downloaded from https://www.parallels.com/blogs/parallels-desktop-apple-silicon-mac/)
– the Windows Insider preview version of Windows 10 on ARM (downloaded from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windowsinsiderpreviewARM64); build version I’m using is 21354. As of today, there is no supported version of Windows 10 on ARM, and no guarantee Microsoft will eventually deliver one
– the current version of Optuma (downloaded a few hours ago), running in Windows 8 compatibility mode. It starts, but locks up in Windows 10 ARM mode

From what I’ve been able to work out over the past hour or so, it seems to be working flawlessly. To be very clear, I absolutely wouldn’t recommend this config to anyone who relied on Optuma – the next update to the Windows preview could easily break it – but as of right now it seems to be working for me. Over the next couple of days I’ll try copying my custom scripts across to see if they work, but having gotten this far I suspect they’ll be fine.

My Optuma-on-cloud setup runs on Amazon Workspace. It’s not as cheap as Paperspace, but I’ve found it 100% reliable over 3-4 years and I can access it from just about any device (iPad, iPhone, Android Phone, Chromebook, Mac M1+Intel, Windows)

Regards

Dave M.

Pin It on Pinterest