Gann Swing Time Frame Override

Hi Forum,

I wish to use a Gann Swing based on a weekly time frame, run on a daily time frame. I thought all I had to do was insert “WEEK()” into the GannSwing() function. That does not work. I have checked out Matthews comments on Gann Swing with time frame overrides https://www.optuma.com/the-danger-of-weekly-scripting/.

Any help please.

Cheers, Lester

Hi Lester,

The following code produces Weekly Gagnn Swing Overlay on my daily charts:

// Weekly Gann Swing Overlay for use on a Daily chart

GANNSWING(WEEK(), METHOD=Use Next Bar)

Cheers

Trevor

Hi Trevor and Forum,

I have been using the WEEK() insert, however when using both the Signal Tester and Back Tester the results are drastically wrong!

Cheer, Lester

Hi Lester,

I’ve not used the GANNSWING function with the WEEK() insert in the Back-Tester or Signal Tester, only as plots on charts.

I have noted on some charts that the WEEKLY GANNSWING code I posted earlier, when used on a Daily chart, can trend “backwards”, ie the weekly top/bottom might be earlier in the week than the low/high for the week:

20190905 Weeky GSO Script Anomaly

That may be the reason for the problem you are encountering, but I leave it to the Optuma boffins to explain the errant behaviour you are experiencing and how to overcome it.

Cheers

Trevor

Hi Trevor & Forum,

Thanks Trevor for your input on this problem.

I have now added a workbook that demonstrates the issue. All of the scripts to add Show Bar and Show Plot have the Weekly Override inserted into the script. The chart is set to “Day”.

On a Weekly Time Frame Beach Energy LTD (BPT) gives an entry for week ending 23 Aug 2019. However on a daily scan there is no signal. It should appear on 20th August.

If the uploaded workbook is changed to “Weekly” the Signal Show Bar appears. Hope this demonstrates my problem?

Cheers, Lester

Gann-Swing-Week-TF-Bug-Example.owb (11 KB)

Hi Lester,

Looking at your code, I think that the problem arises because the bar your are expecting the SHOWBAR for c4 to appear on the Daily Chart is not occurring because the c2 condition in not being met when testing the 20 Aug 19 Bar.

As I understand it, the c2 = e1[2] < e1[1] is only true at e1[1], ie on 15 Aug 19. You can see this by modifying your SHOWBAR code to display c2 on the daily chart, as I have done in the attached workbook (I modified yours) to show where c2 triggers a SHOWBAR. If you change the script to display c1 in lieu of c2, you’ll find that the c1 SHOWBAR does not appear against e1[1].

So, c4 = c1 and c2; is evaluating at c1 = 1 and c2 = 0, which logically results in c4 = 0, hence no SHOWBAR on the Daily Chart, but it is true for the Weekly Chart.

Cheers

Trevor

20190907-Ticket-54567-Gann-Swing-Week-TF-Bug-Example.owb (14.6 KB)

Hi Trevor,

Thank you for taking the time and effort to give a thorough explanation, I now see what is going on. I had been using a wrong assumption on how Optuma counts SWINGENDS. My interpretation of Mathew Verdouw’s Gann Swing video presentation and the script he wrote was incorrect and I did not check it https://www.optuma.com/videos/gann-swings-part-2/.

I had looked for a diagram of how SWINGENDS are counted, but never found one. So thank you for your labels on my workbook.

Incidentally the script was taken from Mathew’s presentation and modified (He wrote it for a daily scan with a count of 2 bars.)

Apologies for not replying earlier, I am currently overseas and had to wait for a time and place to connect.

Cheers, Lester

Hi Lester,

You’re most welcome.

I’ve grappled with understanding the GANNSWING, SWINGSTART and SWINGEND relationships and their characteristics on many occasions. There are a few gotchas like the one you’ve run into.

I use the technique I demonstrated in my reply above of checking, using SHOWBAR/VIEW/PLOT, how each variable in a script appears individually to overcome many of the perceived idiosyncrasies of these GANN functions, and many other functions, because how they work is not always immediately apparent from their brief descriptions in the Optuma KnowledgeBase.

Cheers

Trevor

The Auld Tyma at

Auld Tyma Data Logo with URL 1 cm