Month Num

Hii,

I cant understand how this offset is working can you please explain how not equal to signal is offsetting number of days.

//Set M1 offset to the end of the previous month, ie [2] for 3 days, [3] for 4, etc;
IF(M1[2],V1,HIDDEN())

Hi Deepak,

I’m not sure what MONTHNUM() M1 is referring to, but it’s probably looking at the bar before [2] bars ago when the signal occured. Put M1 and M1[2] in separate Show Bars and see when the signal occurs.

Sorry i did not put complete script this is optuma’s twitter tweet. In this i am not getting how the line of code is working

//Calculate required period rate of change;
V1=ROC(BARS=3);
//Month change trigger;
M1=MONTHNUM() <> MONTHNUM()[1];
//Set M1 offset to the end of the previous month, ie [2] for 3 days, [3] for 4, etc;
IF(M1[2],V1,HIDDEN())

M1 is triggered the on the 1st trading day of the month, but we need to calculate V1 from the close of the day before. So if the last day of the month was 9 days ago the M1 trigger occurred 8 days ago ie M1[8].

Another way to show the MTD% in a timeseries is the following in a Show View:

100*(CLOSE()/(MONTH()[1]))-100

So far this month, NIFTY50 is down -1.65% following a 2.94% gain in July:

Capture

Hi,

Great idea from Deepak and a nice script from Darren.

Darren, what is the script to coloring the months in blue and green?

Thanks,
Thomas

Hi Thomas,

That’s the Time Interval colour scheme set to month.

The green bar is m1

green bar

Black bar is m1[2]
black bar
Here the offset is created in forward direction rather than previous. Can you please tell if sth is wrong.

M1[2] will show on the 3rd trading day of the month - which hasn’t happened yet for September so there won’t be a signal. Using the monthly Time Interval colour scheme you can see the signal on the 3rd bar:
Capture

Hi Darren,

I am little confused.

The [n] offset creates an offset backwards. Here its creating a forward offset from signal.

So if i say close() then it shows todays close but when i say close[1] it shows yesterdays close.

Yes it’s a bit confusing, but the the Show Bar arrow is the signal for when MONTHNUM()<>MONTHNUM()[1] was true [n] bars before.

Hii Darren,

Sorry to disturb you again on this same issue. In signal tester its not happening as envisaged. it takes entry on M1[2] day rather than close of month end.

Can it be resolved by modifying sth in formula.

Regards,
Deepak